Parque Provinciale Araucaria

 

We are now in the Misiones Province of NE Argentina.  We've had a couple of long days in the car and we're not able to lose the thunderstorms and rain that have been tracking us. (I feel guilty complaining as I know how desperately Victoria needs rain.)  This morning we walked on a muddy forest track in the rain (who says travelling has to be fun) near Santa Ana.  Then on to San Pedro.

The Araucaria Provincial Park is something special.  It's only a couple of hectares in the middle of a town but it feels like you're in something vast and unending.  It's wet forest with a wetland in the centre.  It is there to preserve a remnant of Atlantic forest with araucaria conifers as a major species.  This also safeguards for now the Araucaria Spinetail, a small bird that relies on araucaria fruit. 

The park is well maintained and has a lovely 1 km walking track.  Steve saw quite a few new species and I enjoyed the hummingbirds and woodpeckers.

Going up the mountain through the cloud.  We passed tea plantations which reminded us of travel in Uganda.

I loved the veins in the leaves of this plant.  I'll have to find out what it is.

Steve next to the araucaria that grows in this park.  It is closely related to our Bunya and Wollemi Pines.

This plant looked like ginger

Araucaria

An epiphytic fern

This araucaria is supporting a large fig tree

There's always fungus

They're getting rid of introduced species in the park.  This eucalypt was ringbarked and is now dead.



Comments

  1. Looks lovely, though wet and steamy. A good refuge for the trees and birds but only tiny.
    Any leaches? R

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Roadtrip Mindo to Quito

Iguazu area

Quito 1